Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tales of a Travelling Doctor

Greetings from Claremont, New Hampshire. This is my first physician locum tenens assignment of the new year (fill in doctor). I've not been here before so today the weather permitted me to snap some photos. I'm ensconced at The Common Man Inn, a restored textile mill from the 1800's. It now boasts modern amenities such as single to deluxe suites with hardwood floors, a beautiful sitting area with a grand fireplace, fitness center, a hot tub/spa area, home baked cookies, and Hank the black lab who welcomes everyone at the front desk. The hefty restoration project kept the feel of the historic building. The inn and its restaurant, The Common Man Restaurant, opened in June 2009.

I'm staying here for the next two weeks as an OB/GYN  doc at Valley Regional Hospital. Things are slow today so I walked around the area after orientation and office hours.

Claremont is in Sullivan County and is a stone's throw from Vermont. It was named after the estate of Thomas Pelham Holles, Earl of Clare. The Connecticut River is the borderline between the two states. Where I'm staying, you can see the Sugar River and its falls which historically was the source of water power. Right now it is capped by snowy glaciers (great pic below).

Complimentary breakfast is served at the Common Man Inn Restaurant. Everything from breads to cereal (hot and cold) to eggs, juices, and coffee are offered.  I park close by there, and it's always hopping. I've had a miserable cold the last two days so I haven't exercised in the fitness center or soaked in the hot tub. I'm feeling a bit more spry so I'll be checking out these luxuries soon.

I'm going to rest up tonight as I start call tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on my adventures in Claremont, New Hampshire. I'm hoping to interview Hank the inn dog to get his perspective on life at The Common Man Inn. Meanwhile, please enjoy the pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment